APAC is an independent international quality and standards organisation, appointed by Governments as an external accreditation entity under the Health Practitioner Regulation National Law Act 2009.
APAC’s mission is to ensure that education and training in psychology is conducted to the highest possible standards, so that graduates of APAC-accredited programs are well equipped to employ their psychological knowledge and skills in the community, including, where applicable, being competent to safely practice as a registered psychologist.
APAC’s activities include:
- Developing standards for the education and training of psychologists for approval by the Psychology Board of Australia
- Assessing higher education providers and the programs of study they offer to determine whether they meet the approved accreditation standards
- Assessing accrediting and examining authorities in other countries to determine if graduates of the authorities’ examinations or accredited programs of study have the knowledge, skills and professional attributes necessary to practise the profession in Australia
- Supporting higher education providers in developing and maintaining high quality programs of education and training in the psychology discipline
- Advising and consulting to governments and other bodies on matters of education and training relevant to the psychology discipline